Rishikesh is one of the best places for summer holidays in India, as you will spend time on the banks of River Ganga at the foothills of Himalayas in Uttarakhand. Rishikesh has the reputation of World Capital of Yoga and a hub of adventures. Find bliss in yoga centers, ashrams, temples and river banks and shot of adrenalin with river rafting, cliff jumping, fox flying, India highest bungee jump and other adventure sports.
What to do?
- River rafting in River Ganga
- Camping on the river banks
- Body surfing
- Fox-flying on wires suspended between two mountains.
- Visit ancient temples
- Learn all about Yoga
- Indulge in Ayurveda and meditation at the Ashrams.
How to reach
Nestled at the foothills of Himalayas in Uttarakhand, Rishikesh has closest international connection with Delhi Airport or Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun. The nearest railway station is in Haridwar.[ Browse these best customized Rishikesh tour packages ]
7. Lakshadweep Islands
Lakshadweep Islands is not just India’s but one of the world’s most spectacular tropical island systems. The islands tucked away in the Laccadive Sea, few hundred kilometers from the Indian shore are perfect for an early summer vacation in India. These islands shine like emeralds in contrast to the cerulean waters. Get ready for a vacation in a remote location, amid beautiful scenery, with plentiful adventures.
Things to do in Lakshadweep:
- Explore the beautiful coral reefs.
- Enjoy swimming, wind-surfing, diving, snorkeling and kayaking.
- Savor the tropical fruits, fresh coconut waters while relaxing in the sands.
How to reach
Kochi, Kerala is the gateway to the emerald islands of Lakshadweep. Cruises and regular flights are available for Agatti and Bangaram Islands.
The capital of Meghalaya, Shillong is the apt introduction to the bliss of the North East. The beautiful hill station is well-known for its pleasing weather, lush greenery, sparkling lakes and beautiful waterfalls. The natural beauty and serenity is truly unmatched. The city is also known as the ‘Scotland of the East’ because its landscape and weather is similar Scotland. It is one of the top places in India that are perfect for a summer holiday.
Things to do in Shillong:
- Boating in Umiam Lake
- Sightsee Elephant Falls, Shillong Peak, Sweet Falls, Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures, Lady Hydari Park etc.
- Angling at Dawki
- Trekking to Meghalaya Living Root Bridge, Kyllang Rock and Sophet Bneng
- Camping, Horse riding, rock climbing and waterfall rappelling
- River rafting or Kayaking at Kynshi River
How to reach
Shillong Airport in Umroi is the closest airport. Bus services are provided by Meghalaya Transport Corporation. Guwahati railway station is the nearest railway station situated at a distance of 105 km from Shillong.
One of the most popular hill stations in South India, Ooty is perfect for a summer holiday in India. Snuggled in Nilgiris, the hill town has been a favorite hangout in the rising temperatures that too from the days of British Raj. The Toy Train ride is one of the experiences you should definitely try. Enjoy exploring tea estates, flower gardens, colonial attractions, waterfalls, etc. Do not miss on the adventures, and home-made chocolates.
Things to do in Ooty:
- Pay a visit to Coffee, tea plantations, botanical gardens.
- A fun Toy Train Ride in Nilgiri Mountain Railways.
- Trekking and Camping at Avalanche Lake.
- Enjoy a game of golf at the Golf Course.
- Picnic at the Emerald Lake, Kamaraj Sagar Dam, etc.
- Shop for delicious chocolates.
- Marvel at the Doddabetta Peak for an exceptional view of the Nilgiri hills.
How to reach?
The Nilgiri Mountain railways is the best and easy way to get to reach the hill town. Tamil Nadu State Road Transport Corporation (TNSRTC) and many private bus services operate on regular basis. The nearest airport is Coimbatore Airport 95 km from Ooty.[ Plan your holiday in Ooty with these well customized tour packages ]
Sikkim’s capital city, Gangtok is one of the popular holiday places in North East. People from all across the world visit the town to enjoy the natural beauty, pay homage at its beautiful monasteries and embark of treks and other adventure activities. Summer season, is a good time to visit as the weather remains at its best. Get ready to be refreshed by the charms of Sikkim this summer holiday.
Things to do in Gangtok:
- Visit the Nathu La Pass
- River Rafting in Teesta
- Riding a yak at Tsomgo Lake
- Paragliding, and ropeway cable-ride from Deorali
- Visit the Rumtek monastery
How to reach
Gangtok is easily accessible by road, rail and air. The closest airport is in Bagdogra and the nearest railway station in Jalpaiguri, West Bengal. Cabs making a 4-5 hours journey to Sikkim’s capital are available from both.[ Pick your best customized Gangtok tour packages ]